Thursday, February 11, 2010

THE MATERIAL

I experimented with two different selections of silicone, and found that getting just the right thickness was impossible for this mask, since if its too thick it would hol
d up well but not be very transparent, defeating the purpose. And vice versa.

So i stumbled upon the idea of using plexiglass and heating it with a heat gun to mold it upon my facial site. But plexiglass seemed too thick, so i kept searching and finally found that acetate paper was the best option. I
t molded under heat much easier than the plexiglass, and was far easier to cut.

I wont put a picture of the acetate paper, because you simply cant see it. Trust me, its there.




THE SITE


I used standard plaster of paris strips to create my "site", my own human face, from the eyes down. I ended up having to create three of them, since excessive heat from the heat gun (it gets up to 750 degrees fahrenheit) caused the acetate to melt to the mask, destroying it. However, i was able to create my final mask on the untarnished mold without incident. Here is the final mold i created:

No comments:

Post a Comment